When cooked right eggplant has the most amazing flavour and can be used in so many ways, roasting being one of the easiest. Try this pretty dish as a side for your next dinner party.
Roast Eggplant with Spiced Yogurt
Author: Chelsea Shine
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Spiced Yogurt
- ⅓ cup unsweetened greek or natural yogurt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (or chilli powder)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Seeds of half a pomegranate
- ¼ cup of fresh mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Rinse the eggplants. Cut off the green stem if desired (I like to leave this on as an extra decoration). Cut lengthways into quarters to create four large wedges from each eggplant.
- Place on a oven tray and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the eggplant or until the eggplant has completely softened.
- While the eggplant is cooking make the spiced yogurt by mixing the yogurt, paprika, cayenne pepper and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and store in the fridge.
- When the eggplant is cooked place on a serving dish (this can be served hot or cold). Drizzle with the spiced yogurt and sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds. Using your hands roughly tear the mint leaves and sprinkle over the dish to garnish.