Lately I have heard a bit of chatter about how apparently blending frozen bananas results in a similar texture to ice cream. This is something I had to try and it totally works! Here is my recipe for a super easy and healthy ice cream treat with only three ingredients. You just need to slice up the bananas and pop them in the freezer ready for when your ice cream craving hits and it takes all of 5 mins to whip up. If you want to make this a little more indulgent switch up the cacao with chocolate chips or chocolate sauce.
- 8 ripe bananas
- ¾ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 4 tbsp ground cacao nibs (or chocolate chips)
- Peel the bananas and cut into 1cm slices. Pop the slices in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer overnight or for at least 3 hours. I like to do mine in bulk when I have some spare time so I have them ready for whenever I feel like a treat. If you want to fasten up this process put the slices of banana in a single layer on an oven tray and put in the freezer for at least an hour and a half or until they feel hard and frozen.
- When your bananas are frozen and you are ready to have the ice cream put the coconut in a small bowl and soak in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Drain the coconut with a sieve making sure to press as much of the water out as you can.
- Take the bananas out of the freezer and put into a food processor along with the coconut and blend. This will take a few minutes. You will see the bananas changing into a chunky dough like texture. Keep blending until it turns into a smooth creamy consistency.
- Spoon into serving dishes, sprinkle with ground cacao and extra desiccated coconut.
- Serve immediately as it starts to melt quite quickly.
If you don't eat all of it just pop it back into the freezer and blend it again when you are ready to eat.