There is nothing I like better than fresh seafood. While on holiday back home in New Zealand over Christmas I was lucky enough to have the time to get out on the water catching fresh fish, scallops and my Dad and Sister diving for crayfish. Eating our catch the same day, it just doesn’t get better than that!
Over the years Dad has cooked our fresh crayfish in many ways and we have decided quickly grilling in either the oven or on the BBQ on a high heat is both the nicest and easiest way to prepare them at home and this recipe gained his tick of approval. The lime, chilli and coriander butter adds a great flavour to the crayfish without overpowering its delicate taste. Try it with this Asian Rice Noodle & Fresh Herb Salad for a fresh and light meal.
- 80gm butter, softened
- 2 tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
- ½ fresh red chilli, finely diced
- Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 fresh crayfish (about 1kgs each)
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- First prepare the flavored butter by adding the butter, coriander, chilli, lime juice, lime zest and garlic in a small bowl. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- To prepare the crayfish place belly side up, take a large sharp knife and cut each in half by running the knife from the head to the tail.
- Place on an non-stick oven tray with the flesh side down and grill at 180 degrees for about 5 minutes or until majority of the flesh has cooked and turned white and the shells are bright red. Turn the crayfish halves over and spread with all of the flavoured butter. Put back under the grill for 3-5 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with extra coriander leaves and lime wedges on the side.